Standing by your side
Bus Accident Attorney in Troy, MO
Bus Accident Attorney in Troy, MO. If you or someone you care about has been hurt in a devastating bus accident, take control of your recovery by calling Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or by contacting us online.
Bus accidents rarely get equal attention as plane or train crashes, even though the can oftentimes be equally as hazardous and fatal. In 2020, there were 964 bus accidents in Missouri that resulted in personal injury or death. We trust Troy, MO bus drivers and bus companies to maintain our safety and respect the rules. When they break that trust and do not respect the rules it can have terrible, sometimes permanent outcomes for you or your family. Your Troy, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make sure that you collect the maximum compensation that you are entitled to for your injuries.
At Burger Law, our bus accident attorney team has more than 20 years of experience defending the injured in Troy and throughout Missouri and standing up to bullies like deceptive insurance companies and people who carelessly do not want to be held accountable for their reckless actions. Many Troy, MO families have put their cases and their futures in our trustworthy hands, and in total we have collected for them over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. Our bus accident attorney team uses their hard work, devotion, tenacity, knowledge and experience to help right wrongs in personal injury cases and help Troy, MO residents become whole again. You should not have to lose work, pay for extortionate medical bills and also manage the emotional shock of your injury just because another person broke the rules. If you or a loved one has been injured in a Troy, MO bus accident, call the bus accident attorney of Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation. We begin working on your claim immediately, and you do not owe us any fees until we win you the financial recovery you are owed.
If you were injured in a bus accident in Troy, MO because of somebody else's reckless behavior, learn how much your injury may be worth by filling out our personal injury calculator.
What's The Process to Settle My Personal Injury Claim?
Click to view video
Click to view video
Do I Need a Troy, MO Bus Accident Attorney?
If you were caused injuries in a bus accident, we know you are feeling especially powerless. After all, you were not the one driving and you got on the bus assuming that the correct safety measures were obeyed. Troy, MO bus companies and drivers have stringent rules they are supposed to adhere to, but sometimes they neglect those obligations and they leave us to pick up the pieces. Because of the force that is frequently caused by bus accidents, injuries can take years to really heal from, may have permanent consequences or in the most terrible cases can even result in wrongful death. The Troy, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will stand by your side so you are not required to go it alone. When you hire us we start investigating on your case right away, and will not let up until you receive the maximum compensation you deserve. We have seen every type of bus accident injury and know every trick insurance companies use to try and defraud injured Troy, MO individuals and families into accepting less money than they entitled to. Those Troy, MO insurance companies fear us because they know our bus accident attorney team takes on – and wins – the hard cases. Call us today and let the compassionate, accomplished and aggressive bus accident lawyers at Burger Law help you safeguard your family’s future and help make you whole again.
Legal procedures are complex and can be difficult to comprehend for Troy, MO residents who do not have the litigation and trial capabilities of an accomplished bus accident attorney. For over two decades fighting back against bullies and fighting the hard fight. When you hire our Troy, MO bus accident attorney team, we oversee every detail of your case. You can anticipate an experienced and savvy bus accident attorney at Burger Law to:
- Investigate the accident site immediately. When you call us, we can have a bus accident lawyer on the scene at any time of the day or night in order to secure essential evidence for your case.
- Interview eyewitnesses who were either also involved in the crash or were close by. As buses carry multiple passengers, there are usually other passengers who want the same answers and compensation you need. Eyewitness testimony is a important part of winning your case.
- Acquire further evidence such as tire marks, surveillance videos, police reports, and important details such as how long the driver had driven without taking a break or when the last inspection and repairs were performed on the bus. A lot of different factors contribute to bus accidents, and your Burger Law Troy, MO bus accident attorney will find out why the crash happened and who needs to be held accountable.
- Work alongside our network of Troy, MO auto wreck and medical experts to determine liability for your bus accident injuries and compute exactly how much your damages are worth. You deserve every dime of what you are entitled to and we will implement our savvy and expertise to make sure you get it.
- Stand up to resistant Troy, MO insurance companies who care more about their profits than your well-being. We have seen every trick in the book that insurance companies use to try and weasel their way out of their responsibility to compensate you. When you hire us, you can be sure those tricks will not work in your case.
- Take your case to trial if the insurance company refuses to offer a fair settlement, we will use our constantly trained litigation skills to win you a full financial recovery for your injuries.
Additionally, our bus accident attorney team will be by your side the entire time. We handle all communication, documentation and litigation so that you can focus all of your energy on healing and making your family whole again. You owe us no attorneys fees until you get fair compensation. If you or a family member has been injured in a calamitous bus accident, contact an expert and devoted bus accident attorney at Burger Law today.
Who is Liable for My Bus Accident Injuries?
Because it requires so many people to operate a bus safely, from manufacturers, to bus companies to drivers, you will first need to find out the cause of the accident before determining who is liable. Thankfully, an accomplished and skilled Troy, MO bus accident attorney like those at Burger Law have seen every variety of car accident, truck accident and bus accident case and will be able to determine who needs to be held liable for your injuries.
What Causes Bus Accidents? | Troy, MO Bus Accident Attorney
- Driver age and experience. A 2012 Journal of Safety Research study found that inexperienced drivers under 25 years old, as well as more experienced drivers over 55 years old were more likely to be driving when a bus accident happened.
- Driver behavior. While the same study found that just 4 percent of bus accidents were owing to a serious offense such as driving while intoxicated, a different study by the University of Michigan found that 31 percent of bus drivers in metropolitan area bus crashes had committed driving errors, such as speeding, being sleepy or distracted driving.
- Driver fatigue. A good deal of bus drivers, particularly the ones that are employed by commercial bus lines such as Greyhound that require drivers to drive hundreds of miles at all hours of the day or night, become drowsy and can even fall asleep at the wheel. While most busing companies have specifications about how many hours a driver can drive during without a break or how often they have to take a break, those rules are often <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/23/us/greyhound-investigation/" target="_blank” rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener title="CNN"not mandatory or complied with.
- Road conditions. Given buses’ size and the difficulty of driving them, slick roads or Troy, MO construction areas can be particularly dangerous for bus passengers. Sometimes a third party such as a construction company will be negligent. Burger Law's bus accident attorney will help you determine if that is the case.
- Negligence by the bus company. Bus companies are regulated, but not close to as much as other transportation industries. A 2011 study by the National Transportation Safety Board found that The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has only 878 inspectors responsible for inspections of over 765,000 trucks and buses, or just 1.15 inspectors per 1,000 motor carriers. This means inspectors frequently cannot keep up with the quantity of inspections required. Some Troy, MO bus companies do not properly repair their vehicles, causing them to be dangerous. Additionally, bus companies need to ensure that their drivers are adequately trained and are not overworked.
- Dangerous roads. Faults in the road and road conditions can cause a driver to lose control and crash. A Few common examples are:
- Uneven pavement or cracks in the pavement
- Defective or missing traffic lights
- Obstacles on the road, for instance branches or vehicle wreckage
- Poor lighting
- Excessive grades
The more time the hazardous condition has been on the Troy, MO road, the better chance you have of holding the at-fault parties responsible. The negligent party may be a local Troy, MO government, or a third party whom the government paid to repair the issue but either did not do so in a timely fashion or did not properly repair it.
Once your accomplished Troy, MO bus accident attorney deduces the reasons behind your crash, they will be able to ascertain who is liable for your injuries and how to take the next steps toward delivering you full compensation. Below are some examples of parties who are often found liable in bus accident cases.
Commercial Bus Companies
Transportation buses such as Greyhounds are deemed common carriers legally speaking, which means they have a duty of care to their passengers to look out for their safety. Part of that duty of care is to ensure that their drivers are not driving too many miles in a day. In despite of saying that safety is their utmost priority, a CNN report in 2016 found that Greyhound is not complying with its own rules when it comes to driver fatigue. Drivers are theoretically mandated to stop every 150 miles and get out to inspect the vehicle to stave off fatigue. However, the rule is not enforced and is rarely followed as too many breaks could cause financial losses for the company. A 2012 government study found that 37 percent of all passenger bus crashes were caused by driver fatigue. Additionally, many Greyhound customers have said that their driver was eating during the time of a crash, which is an example of distracted driving.
Ensuring that Troy, MO buses are sufficiently inspected and maintained and that safety equipment such as seatbelts are present and up-to-date are also part of the bus company's obligation. A bus accident could be because of a bus company either failing to perform routine maintenance or failing to fix a broken part or component. Older buses are particularly predisposed to breaking down and bus companies must keep their fleets updated.
Finally, bus companies cannot use negligent hiring practices. All drivers need to be sufficiently licensed and trained, and should only be able to drive after passing strict background checks. Your Troy, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will conduct a full investigation into the bus company's hiring practices and the person who was driving when the crash occurred.
A Bus Manufacturer
Like car and other motor vehicle manufacturers, bus manufacturers have a duty to verify the safety of their vehicles and swiftly issue recalls if a product is discovered to be dangerous. If they approve an inherently flawed design or do not recall a component that they knew or should have known was not functioning adequately, they are guilty of product liability. While they may try to shift the blame to somebody else, your Troy, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law has over 20 years of experience making sure at-fault parties are held accountable for their behavior.
The Troy or Missouri Government or a Public Entity
Public transportation accidents can often be ruinous because of the number of people involved and because they often take place in densely populated areas. While you can make a claim against the Troy, MO government, there are special procedures for doing so. Missouri has stricter protections for governmental bodies and government employees than for the average citizen in injury liability cases. If you seek to make a claim against a municipality or government employee, you must file it within 90 days of the accident with the Office of Administration’s Risk Management Division. That is why it is crucial to get in touch with a Troy, MO bus accident attorney right away after your injury. There is no time to wait, call the trusted Burger Law bus accident injury lawyers now at (314) 500-HURT.
Missouri Revised Statute §537.600 grants sovereign immunity to government entities and employees except against a government employee who was driving a motor vehicle “within the course of their employment.” This means that you can sue or make a claim against a liable or reckless public bus driver in Missouri.
The Bus Driver
Even a properly licensed and trained bus driver can cause a crash because of negligence. If they became distracted by looking at the roadside or talking, did not stop driving when they were feeling drowsy, did not pay attention to the Troy, MO road conditions and driving laws while they were driving or made the foolish decision to drive drunk, they need to be held responsible just like bus companies sometimes have to be. When you go on board a bus you trust that driver with your health and your life. If a bus driver does not take that obligation seriously and causes you injury, you can be confident that the devoted and aggressive bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make them pay.
The Other Driver
Like any type of auto accident, two or more drivers are frequently involved, and in some instances they each may bear a percentage of the blame. Another driver’s negligence, such as speeding, driving while intoxicated or pulling in front of the bus too quickly can injure you. If you were injured in a bus wreck where there was another driver or drivers involved, your skilled and veteran Troy, MO bus accident attorney will help you confirm if they are responsible and if you should make a claim against their insurance company.
School bus accidents are the most common type of bus crash in Troy and Missouri. Nationally, school bus accidents account for 40 percent of all fatal bus crashes. While often the driver, bus company or bus manufacturer is liable, a school district in Troy, MO may also be held accountable, for example if they did not cancel school on a day when road conditions were especially bad or they did not perform adequate background checks when hiring drivers.
Below are some helpful links and frequently asked questions for bus accident injuries and other types of injuries:
- Do I have to Talk to the Insurance Company Before I Talk to a Lawyer?
- How Much to Expect in an Auto Accident Settlement
- What Happens During Litigation?
- Does My Family Have a Wrongful Death Claim?
- Proving Negligence in a Personal Injury Claim
What Compensation Can A Bus Accident Attorney in Troy, MO Recover For Me?
The compensation you are awarded in a bus accident case will typically be based on the gravity of your injuries and the repercussions they have on your life. You may have gotten a mild concussion that merely required a quick trip to an emergency room in Troy, MO and a short time off work. Or, you may have sustained a disastrous spinal cord injury that leaves you disabled and in need of special equipment for the rest of your life. When you hire a dedicated and accomplished Troy, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law, we will ensure that you secure a maximum financial recovery for all of the pain and inconvenience your injury has caused and will continue to cause. Missouri Senate Bill 239 defines the damages you can receive as:
- Economic damages, including:
- Medical expenses, such as hospital bills, physical therapy, assistive devices and medications
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
We work with our network of medical and economic experts to quantify the exact dollar amount you are entitled to, accounting for inflation for future lost earning potential or future medical expenses.
- Noneconomic damages, including:
- pain and suffering
- mental anguish
- physical impairment
- loss of capacity to enjoy life
- loss of consortium
However serious your injuries and however much they have impacted your life, Burger Law's Troy, MO bus accident attorney team will fight tirelessly to ensure that you get full compensation for all of your damages.
Learn more about our various practice areas by clicking the links below:
- Truck Crash Lawyers in Missouri
- Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer in Missouri
- Car Accident Attorney in Missouri
Call Our Troy, MO Bus Accident Attorney Today
We have seen every variety of bus accident case and know the immense anguish and disastrous effect it can have on your and the people you care about. Your Troy, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law is compassionate, accomplished, straightforward and tenacious and will use every bit of the knowledge and skills we have acquired over the past 20 years to secure you the the best possible recovery you rightfully deserve. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a bus accident, do not wait another second. Call Burger Law immediately at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form for a complimentary consultation.