Motorcycle accidents are destructive and dangerous, especially for motorcyclists. As someone who owns or rides a motorcycle, you should be interested to learn about the common causes of motorcycle accidents in Missouri and Illinois so that you can be aware and safe. If you or someone you love is struck by another driver while riding a motorcycle in Missouri or Illinois, our St. Louis motorcycle accident attorneys will stand by your side and demand the compensation you deserve. After a motorcycle accident, you must call Burger Law immediately at (314) 500-HURT or online to discuss your case and hire a lawyer. Trust us with your recovery.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
The vast majority of all traffic accidents are attributed to human error, so it is no surprise that some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents are mistakes and irresponsible behaviors committed by other drivers on the road. Be alert and reduce your risk of a motorcycle accident by becoming acquainted with some of the top causes of motorcycle accidents.
- Left turns - one of the leading causes of motorcycle accidents. Failure to follow right-of-way rules or misjudging the speed or distance of another vehicle can lead to a high number of motorcycle accident claims
- Unsafe lane changes - when a driver fails to use their turn signals appropriately or does not check to view their blind posts
- Opening car doors - when a driver or passenger in a typical passenger vehicle suddenly opens the door on their parked vehicle immediately before a motorcyclist passes
- Speeding - a major contributor to all auto accidents. When a driver exceeds the speed limit, they are less likely to see things in their path and have less time to react if they do notice an obstruction. The faster a vehicle is traveling, the more severe the impact will be
- Driving under the influence - driving after consuming alcohol or drugs. The psychoactive nature and physical side effects of drug or alcohol intoxication impair things like motor skills, reaction time, perception and judgment
- Distracted driving - another increasingly common problem in auto accidents. Distracted driving can come in the form of texting or talking on the phone while driving but also occurs in other forms such as eating, applying make-up, daydreaming and other tasks that take attention away from the road in front of a driver
In addition to the common causes of motorcycle accidents listed above, other conditions and factors also frequently contribute to motorcycle accidents in Missouri and Illinois. Look out for inclement weather, poor road conditions like potholes and debris, and behaviors like tailgating or coming to a sudden stop.
Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Near Me | St. Louis, Missouri and Illinois
Keep yourself and your loved ones safe on the road and avoid the risk of injury by becoming familiar with the leading causes of motorcycle accidents and taking care to avoid them.
All you can do is wear a helmet, follow traffic rules and drive safely and defensively. If you are injured in a serious motorcycle accident, you need someone you can trust to take care of your legal claim and demand compensation while also offering support and guidance. The experienced St. Louis motorcycle accident lawyers of Burger Law are dedicated to your case and will work tirelessly to get you a great settlement. After you are injured in a motorcycle accident, call us right away at (314) 500-HURT or online to reach one of our expert attorneys and allow us to begin fighting for your recovery today.