Posted by Gary Burger on April 27, 2016 in Uncategorized
Choosing a lawyer is tough – how do you know who to get? You want the best you can get, to be treated nicely and fairly, and to get the full value of your damages as quickly as possible. Here are some questions you should ask a lawyer before hiring them:
- Do I even need a lawyer? Is my case so small because I don’t have much medical that I would put more money in my pocket if I call the insurance company directly? Will you give me some guidance on how to do that without having to pay you?
- Are you going to handle my case personally?
- I know you say ‘No Fee if No Recovery’ and I get a free consultation, but if you lose my case are you going to want me to pay at least your expenses? Or do I really have no obligation whatsoever if we do not win my case?
- Do you go to court, take depositions, and fight these cases or do you just sign these up and let your associates do the work?
- Do you file lawsuits and try cases, or are we just going to collect a bunch of documents, send them to the claims adjustor and settle this case cheaply?
- Have you actually litigated and tried these kinds of cases? Do you continue to train and keep up with your trial skills?
- Do you have a reputation in the legal community and with claim adjusters and defense lawyers that you will fight to the very end for a case to ensure that you get the full value of the settlement of the claim, rather than a reduced value?
- Do you have a packet of information (published articles, books, pamphlets, etc) to educate me about your firm so that I know that you will be able to strongly represent my interests?
- Are you going to look to try to get 50, 60, or 70% of my damages, or are you going to try your hardest to get 100% of my damages from the defendant?
- Do you have experience in winning difficult liability cases, pursuing claims where injuries are severe, finding additional insurance where no one else thought there was any, thinking outside the box, investigating claims and being aggressive to ensure that we get a fair recovery?
- How long have you been practicing in this field of law? Have you ever handled a case like mine before?