Medical Malpractice Lawyers Macon,
You do not have to pay because a physician, medical institution or other medical professional in Macon, MO broke the rules. When we get medical care, we do so believing that we are placing our health — and at times even our lives — in capable hands. When doctors are negligent , leaving you with even worse illnesses or harm as a result, trust in the seasoned and knowledgeable Macon, MO medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law to win you justice and the best possible compensation. Not only are we empathetic and dedicated to our Macon, MO clients, but we are more aggressive than the majority of law firms in filing lawsuits and not waiting around for the liable doctor to take responsibility. Our medical malpractice lawyers want healthcare professionals and their insurance company to realize that we are serious and will accept nothing but maximum compensation. Negligent health care can have catastrophic, life-long consequences, and in the most tragic cases can even result in wrongful death.
In our 30 years of experience pushing back against bullies and getting great results for the injured, we have gotten our clients over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. If you or someone you care about has been hurt by a thoughtless medical professional in Macon, MO, call Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers immediately at or contact us online.
See how much compensation you may be able to receive by using our free personal injury calculator.
Medical Malpractice Statistics | Macon, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
Research by John Hopkins Medicine found that one-tenth of all fatalities nationwide are because of medical error. Just one percent of physicians are responsible for just about a third of medical malpractice lawsuits. Too often, negligent doctors are permitted to keep practicing without any ramifications. But when the state of Missouri does not want to hold at-fault doctors accountable, you can be sure the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will.
In Missouri, less than 33 percent of medical malpractice lawsuits end with the plaintiff collecting compensation. Still, between 2009 and 2018 a full $631.11 million was awarded in medical malpractice lawsuits. You need committed and seasoned Missouri medical malpractice lawyers to make certain you are awarded the great compensation you deserve.
Who Your Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Macon, MO Can Hold Liable in Your Claim
We often immediately think of doctors when we think of medical malpractice, there are many people or institutions that may be guilty of medical negligence in your claim. The state of Missouri defines a “healthcare provider” as a
- Health maintenance organization
- Ambulatory surgical center
- Long-term care facility
- Registered or licensed practical nurse
- Professional physical therapist
- Physician-in-training, or
- Any other person or entity who provides health care services under the authority of a license or certificate
Malpractice cases are typically complicated; it may not be clear straight away who was to blame, or many people might be at fault. The trusted and skilled Macon, MO medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will conduct a complete investigation into your injuries and make certain that each party that caused you injuries is held accountable for their negligent behavior.
Examples of Medical Malpractice in Macon, MO
Medical negligence occurs when a healthcare professional disobeys the standard of care, which is how a competent doctor in the same practice area and same geographic location would have treated your health issue. Our Macon, MO medical malpractice lawyers have seen that occur in all sorts of ways:
Failure to Diagnose or Misdiagnosis
This is the most frequent reason for medical malpractice cases related to outpatient treatment. More or Less 12 million Americans are misdiagnosed annually. Catching health problems early on is critical in attaining the most favorable outcome for a patient. A misdiagnosis, or missing a diagnosis, can result in a delay to the treatment you seriously require to become healthier, or can result in inappropriate treatment that exacerbates your illness or injury. Three-quarters of misdiagnoses are failing to diagnose some of the most serious health conditions, such as:
- 37.8 percent for cancer
- 22.8 percent for vascular events
- 13.5 percent for infections
Surgical mistakes are the most frequent medical malpractice claim when it comes to inpatient care. There are at least 4,000 surgical mistakes nationwide each year, and frighteningly, the most common source is operating on the wrong body part. Other instances can include accidental incisions, anesthesia errors, foreign objects like instruments being left inside the patient, infections or failure to treat difficulties emerge after the procedure.
An estimated 7,000 to 9,000 people nationwide die every year owing to mistakes when administering medication. Examples can include not knowing a patient's allergies, giving an incorrect medication, giving an incorrect dosage or neglecting to identify interactions with other drugs.
Another example of medication errors is overprescribing medications. Studies show that overprescribing is a principal contributor to the opioid crisis in the U.S.
Unnecessary medical care costs roughly $210 billion annually. John Hopkins Medicine asked 2,106 physicians and discovered that doctors themselves are of the opinion that 15 to 30 percent of medical care is unnecessary, including:
- Over one-fifth of prescription medications
- 24.9 percent of medical tests
- Over a tenth of procedures
- More than a fifth of medical treatment in general
Unnecessary treatment can cause surgical errors, medication errors and overprescribed medication.
About 6 to 8 out of 1,000 children born in the United States experience a serious birth injury Annually. Not correctly monitoring the infant during delivery, not correctly using birthing procedures or not identifying a health problem with the mother during pregnancy are all cases of medical malpractice that can lead to long-term or lifelong health issues.
Nursing Home Negligence
The 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act determined a Bill of Rights for nursing home residents meant to protect and confirm their physical, emotional and social well-being. When a nursing home or its staff disregards those rights and your loved one is harmed as a result, the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will hold them to blame.
Failure to Inform or Lack of Consent
We all have an innate right to make decisions for ourselves. When a physician neglects to inform you of risks, or does not obtain your consent before treatment, it is an egregious violation of your rights.
At Burger Law, our Macon, MO medical malpractice lawyers have experience with every category of malpractice case. We know the terrible consequences a healthcare professional's or institution's thoughtlessness can cause, and the exasperation and grief that comes with discovering that your trust was broken. We hold at-fault doctors liable and get our Macon, MO clients the full compensation they deserve and need to move on and fully recover. Our medical malpractice lawyers also have considerable medical comprehension and will be able to pinpoint how your doctor violated the standard of care. Get in touch with our medical malpractice lawyers in Macon, MO right away at .
Can You Sue The Federal Government When Injured?
Can you sue the federal government when injured? What are federal tort cl …
What Compensation Will I Receive in My Birth Injury Lawsuit?
What Compensation Will I Receive in a Birth Injury Lawsuit? When your chi …
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case?
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case? Doctors are among the most t …
Medical Malpractice Cases Won
Take a look at the links below to see several of the recent successes Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers have secured for our clients in Macon, MO:
- $1 Million Settlement for Family of a Man With Sepsis Infection
- $1 Million Settlement for Permanent Brain Injury
- $900,000 Settlement for Unnecessary Surgery Leading to Blindness in One Eye
- $200,000 Settlement for Misdiagnosis
- $175,000 Verdict for Surgical Error During a Cesarean Section
- Confidential Settlement for Failing to Diagnose Cancer and Lost Chance of Survival
- Confidential Settlement for Nursing Home Neglect
- Confidential Settlement for Wrongful Death Due to Fentanyl
How Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Missouri Can Help
Medical malpractice cases are notoriously difficult to win. That is why you need exceptional medical malpractice lawyers that have the experience, knowledge, tenacity and talent to secure you the great compensation you know you deserve. When you hire us, our Missouri medical malpractice lawyers:
- Begin working on your case at once
- Connect you with honest and accomplished doctors to finally get you the medical care you need
- Perform a comprehensive investigation, including obtaining medical records, qualified testimony and taking official statements from the defendant
- Consult with our team of Macon, MO medical experts to determine standard of care in your case, show how the treatment you were provided with was substandard and prove negligence
- Offer compassionate, informed and direct legal counsel
- Make sure you informed throughout your lawsuit so you are aware of what is going on and know everything you need to make the best decision for your family
- Manage every legal aspect of your case so you can focus your energy on recovering
- Consult with with economic experts to exactly value your damages
- Negotiate with the insurance adjusters to secure you the best possible settlement offer
- Take your case to trial when the insurance company does not want to offer what you are owed in mediation
At Burger Law, we know that the average person in Macon, MO does not have the resources and legal know-how to oppose the expensive defense teams of doctors and large corporations. That is why our Macon, MO medical malpractice lawyers work on a contingency fee basis. You do not owe us anything until we get you the full financial recovery you deserve. We have devoted our careers to making sure that the injured and vulnerable in Macon, MO have access to the highest form of legal representation, one that compares with and eclipses that of large hospitals. Our medical malpractice lawyers always work to eliminate every impediment standing between you and justice.
What You Need in a Medical Malpractice Claim
Not every mistake carried out by healthcare providers constitutes malpractice. In order to get a financial recovery for substandard care in Macon, MO, you must conclusively show four things. Your medical malpractice lawyers from Burger Law will help you demonstrate that:
- A doctor-patient relationship existed. This means proof that you hired the doctor and the doctor agreed to be hired. This is generally not hard to prove.
- The doctor or healthcare provider was negligent. You need to be able to demonstrate that a capable doctor in the same field, in the same geographical location caring for the same medical issue, would not have committed the same error.
- The doctor’s negligence directly caused the injury. This is often hard to prove, as patients under a doctor’s care are usually already sick or injured.
- That the injury caused the patient harm that they should be compensated for. Examples include physical pain, a disability, additional medical costs, or loss of future earning potential.
In Missouri, you will also be required to provide an “Affidavit of Qualified Healthcare Worker,” within 90 days of filing your claim, according to Missouri Revised Statute §538.225. This is a written opinion from a legally qualified healthcare provider that says that a) the doctor did not offer the treatment that a prudent healthcare provider would have in the same situation, and b) the negligence caused the alleged damages. Our medical malpractice lawyers have a wealth of accomplished and professional medical connections in Macon and throughout Missouri who will help corroborate your claim.
What Compensation Can I Recover? | Macon, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The compensation your medical malpractice lawyers will help you get generally falls into two categories: economic damages, which look to compensate you for the financial damages you have undergone owing to a physician's negligence; and noneconomic damages, which seek to compensate for the less tangible ways in which your injuries have affected your life:
- Economic damages include:
- Lost wages
- Lost earning potential if the medical negligence resulted in a disability that does not allow you to carry out the duties of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, including:
- Subsequent doctors appointments
- Further procedures
- Physical therapy
- Medication expenses
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or necessary improvements to your home or vehicle
- Future estimated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices
- Noneconomic damages, which the state of Missouri defines as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers work relentlessly until you get every penny that you are owed. We know that some injuries are impossible to fully heal from, but we fight to make certain that your pain and suffering is alleviated.
Malpractice cases vary from other personal injuries in Missouri in a couple of important aspects. Your medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will help you understand damage caps and the statute of limitations in Missouri:
Damage Caps in Missouri Medical Malpractice Cases
In 2015, Missouri state legislature passed Senate Bill 239 in an effort to reduce insurance premiums for physicians and hospitals. The bill establishes "damage caps" on the amount you can be awarded in a medical malpractice suit in noneconomic damages. As of 2022, those caps are $450,098 for a "non-catastrophic injury" and $787,671 for a "catastrophic injury."
What is Catastrophic Injury? | Macon, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The damage caps for catastrophic injuries are higher because they affect your ability to function in your daily life and to enjoy life. Your Burger Law malpractice lawyers will help you determine if your injury can be considered catastrophic. Senate Bill 239 defines catastrophic injuries as:
- Quadriplegia, or loss of function in all four limbs
- Paraplegia, or loss of function in your legs and lower body
- Loss of two or more limbs
- A brain injury resulting in permanent cognitive impairment that results in permanent inability to:
- Make independent decisions
- Perform basic daily tasks such as eating, dressing, bathing, toileting, transferring and walking
- Irreversible failure of one or more major organ systems
- Legal blindness in your "best eye"
What is the Statute of Limitations in a Medical Malpractice Claim in Macon, MO?
If you or someone you care about were harmed by a healthcare professional's negligence in Macon, MO, it is critical to reach out to medical malpractice lawyers straight away. While most personal injury cases have a statute of limitation of five years in Missouri, medical malpractice suits only have a time limit of two years, according to Missouri Revised Statute §516.105. That means that following an injury from medical negligence your medical malpractice lawyers only have two years to investigate your case and file your claim. There are three key exceptions:
- If a foreign object was left inside of you after surgery, you have two years from the date you discovered the object, or should have discovered the object.
- If a doctor neglected to inform you of test results, you have two years from the date you discovered or should have discovered that you were not informed. This does not include failure to inform of negligent or incorrect test results.
- If you or your loved one was a minor at the time of the substandard care, you have until they turn 20.
Do not delay. Contact the Burger Law Macon, MO medical malpractice lawyers straight away. We start working on your case right away and do not stop until you have been fully compensated . Delaying could bring complications to your claim and could make it tough for even the best medical malpractice lawyers to prove the full scope of your damages. Call Burger Law's Macon, MO medical malpractice lawyers immediately at .
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Macon, MO
No one deserves to have their life turned upside down because a physician gave them substandard care. Burger Law's Macon, MO medical malpractice lawyers make up the highest- and most-reviewed law firm in Macon, MO. We fight hard for our clients and work relentlessly to get them the great results they need to recover. Our medical malpractice lawyers have spent the last 30 years fighting back against bullies and standing up for the "little guy." We will not let doctors, large hospitals exploit your vulnerability. Call Burger Law's Macon, MO medical malpractice lawyers today at or fill out our online form to start on your road to recovery.