They betrayed your trust. We get you maximum compensation.
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Poplar Bluff, Missouri
Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Poplar Bluff, Missouri. If you or someone you care about were hurt because a doctor did not provide you with the competent treatment that you were owed, call Burger Law right away at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form. Our medical malpractice lawyers always get great financial recoveries for our clients in Poplar Bluff and throughout Missouri.
You do not have to pay because a physician, medical institution or other healthcare professional in Poplar Bluff, MO disregarded your health. When we seek medical care, we do so under the assumption that we are placing our well-being — and at times even our lives — in capable hands. When doctors are negligent and you end up with even worse illnesses or injuries as a consequence, trust in the seasoned and knowledgeable Poplar Bluff, MO medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law to deliver you justice and a full financial recovery. Not only are we empathetic and dedicated to the injured in Poplar Bluff, MO, but we are more aggressive than most law firms in filing lawsuits and not waiting around for the liable doctor to take accountability. Our medical malpractice lawyers want healthcare professionals and their insurance company to understand that we mean business and will accept nothing but full compensation. Negligent health care can have horrible, permanent consequences, and in the dire cases can even lead to wrongful death.
In our 30 years of experience pushing back against bullies and getting the best possible results for our clients, we have gotten our clients over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. If you or a family member has been harmed by a thoughtless physician in Poplar Bluff, MO, get in touch with Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers straight away at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online.
See the potential value of your claim by using our free personal injury calculator.
100 Chesterfield Business Pkwy
Chesterfield, MO 63005
By appointment only
Phone: (314) 648-8348
Medical Malpractice Statistics | Poplar Bluff, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
A study by John Hopkins Medicine found that one-tenth of all deaths nationwide are due to medical error. Just one percent of doctors are responsible for just about 33 percent of medical malpractice claims. Too often, negligent doctors are permitted to continue practicing without any ramifications. But when the state of Missouri does not want to hold liable doctors responsible, you can be confident the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will.
In Missouri, less than 33 percent of medical malpractice claims end with the plaintiff recovering compensation. Still, between 2009 and 2018 a full $631.11 million was recovered in medical malpractice cases. You need devoted and accomplished Missouri medical malpractice lawyers to ensure you are awarded the maximum compensation you deserve.
Clear Medical Malpractice Violations
Click to view video
What Are the Top Medical Malpractice Claims?
Click to view video
How Do I File a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit?
Click to view video
Who Your Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Poplar Bluff, MO Can Hold To Blame in Your Case
We usually immediately think of doctors when we think of medical malpractice, there are many people or institutions that may be culpable of medical negligence in your case. The state of Missouri defines a “healthcare provider” as a
- Health maintenance organization
- Ambulatory surgical center
- Long-term care facility
- Registered or licensed practical nurse
- Professional physical therapist
- Physician-in-training, or
- Any other person or entity who provides health care services under the authority of a license or certificate
Malpractice lawsuits are typically intricate; it may not be clear straight away who was accountable, or many people might be at fault. The dependable and savvy Poplar Bluff, MO medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will perform a full investigation into your injuries and make certain that each party that caused you harm is held accountable for their thoughtless actions.
Examples of Medical Malpractice in Poplar Bluff, MO
Medical negligence takes place when a healthcare professional breaks the standard of care, which is how most doctors in the same field and same geographic location would have care for your health issue. Our Poplar Bluff, MO medical malpractice lawyers have seen that transpire in many different ways:
Failure to Diagnose or Misdiagnosis
This is the most frequent reason for medical malpractice claims that occur in out-of-hospital care. More or Less 12 million Americans are misdiagnosed every year. Catching medical problems early on is significant in getting the most favorable outcome for a patient. A misdiagnosis, or failing to diagnose, can lead to a delay to the treatment you seriously need to get better, or can result in incorrect care that aggravates your illness or injury. Three-quarters of misdiagnoses are failing to diagnose some of the most deadly health conditions, such as:
- 37.8 percent for cancer
- 22.8 percent for vascular events
- 13.5 percent for infections
Surgical mistakes are the most common medical malpractice case related to inpatient treatment. There are at least 4,000 surgical errors in the United States each year, and frighteningly, the most common example is operating on an incorrect organ. Other instances can include accidental cuts, anesthesia mistakes, foreign objects like instruments remaining inside the patient, infections or failure to address issues arising from the procedure.
An estimated 7,000 to 9,000 people nationwide die annually because of mistakes when administering medication. Examples can include not being aware of a patient's allergies, giving the wrong medication, giving the wrong dosage or not identifying interactions with other drugs.
Medication errors can also include overprescribing medications. Studies have found that overprescribing is a significant factor in the opioid crisis in the United States.
Unnecessary medical care costs an estimated $210 billion each year. John Hopkins Medicine surveyed 2,106 physicians and discovered that doctors themselves think that 15 to 30 percent of medical care is not needed, including:
- More than one-fifth of prescription medications
- Almost a quarter of medical tests
- Over one-tenth of procedures
- 20.6 percent of all medical care
Unneeded treatment can cause surgical errors, medication errors and overprescribed medication.
An estimated 6 to 8 out of 1,000 children born in the United States suffer a significant birth injury each year. Not appropriately monitoring the baby during delivery, not appropriately utilizing birthing techniques or not identifying a health issue of the mother during pregnancy are all cases of medical negligence that can lead to long-term or permanent consequences.
Nursing Home Negligence
The 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act created a Bill of Rights for nursing home residents meant to safeguard and confirm their physical, emotional and social health. When a nursing home or its staff shirks those rights and the person you care about is injured as a result, the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will hold them to blame.
Failure to Inform or Lack of Consent
Everyone has a basic right to make decisions for ourselves. When a doctor neglects to inform you of risks, or neglects to obtain your consent before a procedure, it is an outrageous breach of your rights.
At Burger Law, our Poplar Bluff, MO medical malpractice lawyers have seen it all. We know the cataclysmic consequences a healthcare professional's or institution's negligence can cause, and the anger and grief that accompanies finding out that your trust was betrayed. We hold careless doctors liable and secure our Poplar Bluff, MO clients the great financial recovery they are owed and that they need to move on and be made whole again. Our medical malpractice lawyers also have considerable medical knowledge and will be able to discover exactly how your doctor breached the standard of care. Get in touch with our medical malpractice lawyers in Poplar Bluff, MO straight away at (314) 500-HURT.
Can You Sue The Federal Government When Injured?
Can you sue the federal government when injured? What are federal tort cl …
What Compensation Will I Receive in My Birth Injury Lawsuit?
What Compensation Will I Receive in a Birth Injury Lawsuit? When your chi …
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case?
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case? Doctors are among the most t …
Medical Malpractice Cases Won
Take a look at the links below to see several of the latest victories Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers have secured for our clients in Poplar Bluff, MO:
- $1 Million Settlement for Family of a Man With Sepsis Infection
- $1 Million Settlement for Permanent Brain Injury
- $900,000 Settlement for Unnecessary Surgery Leading to Blindness in One Eye
- $200,000 Settlement for Misdiagnosis
- $175,000 Verdict for Surgical Error During a Cesarean Section
- Confidential Settlement for Failing to Diagnose Cancer and Lost Chance of Survival
- Confidential Settlement for Nursing Home Neglect
- Confidential Settlement for Wrongful Death Due to Fentanyl
What Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Missouri Can Do For You
Medical malpractice lawsuits are infamously difficult to win. That is why you need excellent medical malpractice lawyers that have the experience, knowledge, perseverance and skills to deliver you the best possible compensation you know you deserve. When you hire us, our Missouri medical malpractice lawyers:
- Get to work on your case right away
- Connect you with honest and capable physicians to finally get you the medical care you need
- Perform a comprehensive investigation, including acquiring medical records, expert testimony and taking depositions of the defendant
- Consult with our team of Poplar Bluff, MO medical experts to determine standard of care in your case, show how the treatment you were given was not up to the standard and prove negligence
- Offer empathetic, sound and dependable legal advice
- Make sure you informed through the duration of your case so you are not left in the dark and you have all the information you need to make the best decision for your family
- Manage every legal aspect of your case so you can spend your energy on healing
- Converse with with economic experts to determine precisely how much your claim is worth
- Negotiate with the insurance adjusters to win you a full settlement offer
- Take your case to trial when the insurance company does not want to be fair in mediation
At Burger Law, we know that most residents of Poplar Bluff, MO does not have the resources and legal savvy to oppose the expensive defense teams of doctors and large hospitals. For that reason, our Poplar Bluff, MO medical malpractice lawyers operate on a contingency fee basis. We charge no attorneys fees until we get you the full compensation you deserve. We have committed our careers to making sure that the injured and vulnerable in Poplar Bluff, MO have access to the highest quality legal advocacy, one that equals and exceeds that of large hospitals. Our medical malpractice lawyers always work to eliminate every hurdle standing between you and justice.
What You Need in a Medical Malpractice Claim
Not every error committed by medical professional constitutes malpractice. In order to get a financial recovery for negligent care in Poplar Bluff, MO, you must prove four things. Your medical malpractice lawyers from Burger Law will help you prove that:
- A doctor-patient relationship was established. This means proof that you hired the doctor and the doctor agreed to be hired. This is generally very easy to prove.
- The doctor or healthcare provider was negligent. You need to be able to prove that a capable physician in the same field, in the same geographical location treating the same health problem, would not have committed the same mistake.
- The doctor’s negligence directly caused you harm. This is often hard to prove, as patients being treated by a doctor are generally already sick or injured.
- That the injury caused the patient harm that they should be compensated for. This can include physical pain, impairment, additional medical bills, or loss of future earning potential.
In Missouri, you will also need to include an “Affidavit of Qualified Healthcare Worker,” within 90 days of filing your case, according to Missouri Revised Statute §538.225. This is a written opinion from a a healthcare professional in the same field that states that a) the doctor did not offer the care that a prudent healthcare provider would have under similar circumstances, and b) the negligence contributed to the alleged injuries. Our medical malpractice lawyers have a massive network of accomplished and qualified medical connections in Poplar Bluff and throughout Missouri who will help authenticate your claim.
Amy: A Trial Story
Click to view video
Click to view video
Roy Medical Malpractice Testimonial
Click to view video
What Compensation Can I Collect? | Poplar Bluff, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The compensation your medical malpractice lawyers will help you recover typically falls into two categories: economic damages, which seek to compensate you for the financial damages you have experienced owing to a physician's substandard care; and noneconomic damages, which are intended to compensate for the less tangible ways in which your injuries have impacted your life:
- Economic damages include:
- Lost wages
- Lost earning potential if the medical negligence led to a disability that does not allow you to conduct the duties of your job anymore
- Medical costs, for instance:
- Follow up appointments
- Physical rehabilitation
- Medication expenses
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or necessary improvements to your home or vehicle
- Future estimated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices
- Noneconomic damages, which the state of Missouri defines as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers work relentlessly until you get every dime that you are owed. We know that you can never fully recover from some injuries, but we fight to make certain that you are made whole again.
Malpractice cases diverge from other personal injuries in Missouri in two key aspects. Your medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will help you navigate damage caps and the statute of limitations in Missouri:
Damage Caps in Missouri Medical Malpractice Cases
In 2015, Missouri state legislature passed Senate Bill 239 in an effort to decrease insurance premiums for medical liability. The bill enforces "damage caps" on how much compensation you can recover in a medical malpractice case in noneconomic damages. As of 2022, those caps are $450,098 for a "non-catastrophic injury" and $787,671 for a "catastrophic injury."
What is Catastrophic Injury? | Poplar Bluff, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The damage caps for catastrophic injuries are greater because they impact your ability to perform daily tasks and to find enjoyment in life. Your Burger Law malpractice lawyers will help you establish if your injury can be viewed as catastrophic. Senate Bill 239 defines catastrophic injuries as:
- Quadriplegia, or loss of function in all four limbs
- Paraplegia, or loss of function in your legs and lower body
- Loss of two or more limbs
- A brain injury resulting in permanent cognitive impairment that results in permanent inability to:
- Make independent decisions
- Perform basic daily tasks such as eating, dressing, bathing, toileting, transferring and walking
- Irreversible failure of one or more major organ systems
- Legal blindness in your "best eye"
What is the Statute of Limitations in a Medical Malpractice Claim in Poplar Bluff, MO?
If you or a family member were hurt by a physician's negligence in Poplar Bluff, MO, it is critical to get in touch with medical malpractice lawyers straight away. While most personal injury claims have a time limit of five years in Missouri, medical malpractice lawsuits only have a statute of limitations of two years, under Missouri Revised Statute §516.105. That means that once you have been hurt your medical malpractice lawyers only have two years to investigate your case and file your claim. There are three notable exceptions:
- If a foreign object was left inside of you after surgery, you have two years from the date you discovered the object, or should have discovered the object.
- If a doctor neglected to inform you of test results, you have two years from the date you discovered or should have discovered that you were not informed. This does not include failure to inform of negligent or incorrect test results.
- If you or your loved one was a minor at the time of the malpractice, you have until they turn 20.
There is no time to wait. Contact the Burger Law Poplar Bluff, MO medical malpractice lawyers straight away. We get working on your case right away and do not let up until you have been fully compensated . Waiting could create complications your claim and could make it hard for even the best medical malpractice lawyers to prove the full consequences of your damages. Call Burger Law's Poplar Bluff, MO medical malpractice lawyers today at (314) 500-HURT.
Call Burger Law Now
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Poplar Bluff, MO
No one deserves to have their life turned upside down because a doctor gave them substandard care. Burger Law's Poplar Bluff, MO medical malpractice lawyers comprise the highest- and most-reviewed law firm in the Region. We fight hard for our clients and work around the clock to get them the great results they need to be made whole again. Our medical malpractice lawyers have spent the last 30 years fighting back against bullies and standing up for the "little guy." We will not let doctors, large corporations manipulate your vulnerability. Call Burger Law's Poplar Bluff, MO medical malpractice lawyers today at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form to start on your road to recovery.