They betrayed your trust. We get you maximum compensation.
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Sugar Creek, Missouri
Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Sugar Creek, Missouri. If you or someone you care about were hurt because a physician did not offer you the competent treatment that you deserved, call Burger Law straight away at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form. Our medical malpractice lawyers always get great results for the injured and vulnerable in Sugar Creek and throughout Missouri.
You should not have to pay because a doctor, medical institution or other healthcare professional in Sugar Creek, MO disregarded your health. When we search out medical treatment, we do so believing that we are placing our health — and sometimes even our lives — in capable hands. When doctors are negligent and you end up with even worse illnesses or injuries as a result, trust in the veteran and knowledgeable Sugar Creek, MO medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law to secure you justice and great financial compensation. Not only are we understanding and committed to the injured in Sugar Creek, MO, but we are more aggressive than most law firms in filing litigation and not waiting around for the liable doctor to take accountability. Our medical malpractice lawyers want healthcare professionals and their insurance company to realize that we are serious and will not take anything but a full financial recovery. Negligent health care can have devastating, permanent consequences, and in the worst cases can even lead to wrongful death.
In our 30 years of experience standing up to bullies and getting great results for our clients, we have gotten our clients over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. If you or a family member has been injured by a careless doctor in Sugar Creek, MO, reach out to Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers immediately at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online.
See how much compensation you may be able to receive by filling out our free personal injury calculator.
100 Chesterfield Business Pkwy
Chesterfield, MO 63005
By appointment only
Phone: (314) 648-8348
Medical Malpractice Statistics | Sugar Creek, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
A study by John Hopkins Medicine found that one in ten of all deaths in the United States are owing to medical error. Just one percent of physicians are responsible for almost 33 percent of medical malpractice claims. Too often, negligent doctors are allowed to keep practicing without any repercussions. But when the state of Missouri does not want to hold negligent doctors to blame, you can be confident the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will.
In Missouri, less than 33 percent of medical malpractice cases end with the plaintiff collecting damages. Still, between 2009 and 2018 a full $631.11 million was recovered in medical malpractice cases. You need committed and veteran Missouri medical malpractice lawyers to ensure you get the maximum compensation you are owed.
Clear Medical Malpractice Violations
Click to view video
What Are the Top Medical Malpractice Claims?
Click to view video
How Do I File a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit?
Click to view video
Who Your Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Sugar Creek, MO Can Hold Accountable in Your Claim
We frequently immediately think of doctors when we think of medical malpractice, there are many parties that may be liable for medical negligence in your case. The state of Missouri defines a “healthcare provider” as a
- Health maintenance organization
- Ambulatory surgical center
- Long-term care facility
- Registered or licensed practical nurse
- Professional physical therapist
- Physician-in-training, or
- Any other person or entity who provides health care services under the authority of a license or certificate
Malpractice suits are frequently complex; it may not be clear straight away who was liable, or many parties may be liable. The dependable and savvy Sugar Creek, MO medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will carry out a full investigation into your injuries and make sure that every party that caused you harm is held accountable for their careless actions.
Examples of Medical Malpractice in Sugar Creek, MO
Medical negligence transpires when a healthcare professional breaches the standard of care, which is how a competent doctor in the same field and same geographic location would have care for your health problems. Our Sugar Creek, MO medical malpractice lawyers have seen that take place in many different ways:
Failure to Diagnose or Misdiagnosis
This is the most common reason for medical malpractice claims related to out-of-hospital treatment. Roughly 12 million Americans are misdiagnosed annually. Diagnosing medical problems early on is key in attaining the best possible results for a patient. A misdiagnosis, or missing a diagnosis, can lead to a delay to the care you acutely require to become healthier, or can result in unsuitable treatment that compounds your illness or injury. Three-quarters of misdiagnoses are failing to diagnose some of the most deadly health conditions, including:
- 37.8 percent for cancer
- 22.8 percent for cardiac events
- 13.5 percent for infections
Surgical errors are the most common medical malpractice claim related to inpatient care. There are at least 4,000 surgical mistakes in the U.S. each year, and frighteningly, the most common example is performing surgery on an incorrect organ. Other examples can include accidental cuts, anesthesia mistakes, foreign objects like scissors being left inside the patient, infections or failure to address complications surface after the procedure.
An estimated 7,000 to 9,000 people in the United States die annually because of medication errors. Examples can include not being aware of a patient's allergies, giving an incorrect medication, giving an incorrect dosage or neglecting to identify interactions with other drugs.
Medication errors can also include overprescribing medications. Studies have found that overprescribing is a major contributor to the opioid crisis in the U.S.
Unnecessary medical care costs an estimated $210 billion each year. John Hopkins Medicine surveyed 2,106 doctors and discovered that doctors themselves believe that 15 to 30 percent of medical care is not needed, including:
- 22 percent of prescription medications
- Almost a quarter of medical tests
- 11.1 percent of procedures
- More than one-fifth of all medical treatment
Unnecessary care can lead to surgical mistakes, medication errors and overprescribed medication.
Approximately 6 to 8 out of a thousand children born in the United States sustain a serious birth injury Annually. Not correctly monitoring the baby during delivery, not appropriately implementing birthing techniques or not identifying a health problem of the mother during pregnancy are all examples of medical negligence that can cause long-term or lifelong consequences.
Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse
The 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act established a Bill of Rights for nursing home residents meant to safeguard and secure their physical, emotional and social well-being. When a nursing home or its staff does not ensure those rights and your family member is consequently harmed, the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will hold them to blame.
Failure to Inform or Lack of Consent
We all have a fundamental right to make decisions for ourselves. When a doctor neglects to inform you of risks, or does not secure your consent before a procedure, it is an outrageous violation of your rights.
At Burger Law, our Sugar Creek, MO medical malpractice lawyers have experience with every kind of malpractice claim. We know the ruinous repercussions a healthcare professional's or institution's carelessness can cause, and the rage and grief that accompanies discovering that your trust was betrayed. We hold at-fault doctors responsible and get our Sugar Creek, MO clients the maximum compensation they are owed and that they require to move on and fully recover. Our medical malpractice lawyers also have considerable medical knowledge and will be able to determine exactly how your doctor breached the standard of care. Get in touch with our medical malpractice lawyers in Sugar Creek, MO immediately at (314) 500-HURT.
Can You Sue The Federal Government When Injured?
Can you sue the federal government when injured? What are federal tort cl …
What Compensation Will I Receive in My Birth Injury Lawsuit?
What Compensation Will I Receive in a Birth Injury Lawsuit? When your chi …
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case?
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case? Doctors are among the most t …
Medical Malpractice Cases Won
Take a look at the links below to see some of the latest successes Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers have secured for our clients in Sugar Creek, MO:
- $1 Million Settlement for Family of a Man With Sepsis Infection
- $1 Million Settlement for Permanent Brain Injury
- $900,000 Settlement for Unnecessary Surgery Leading to Blindness in One Eye
- $200,000 Settlement for Misdiagnosis
- $175,000 Verdict for Surgical Error During a Cesarean Section
- Confidential Settlement for Failing to Diagnose Cancer and Lost Chance of Survival
- Confidential Settlement for Nursing Home Neglect
- Confidential Settlement for Wrongful Death Due to Fentanyl
What Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Missouri Can Do For You
Medical malpractice lawsuits are notoriously tough to win. That is why you need exceptional medical malpractice lawyers that have the experience, knowledge, tenacity and skills to deliver you the great compensation you know you deserve. When you hire us, our Missouri medical malpractice lawyers:
- Start working on your claim immediately
- Connect you with honest and accomplished doctors to finally get you the medical attention you deserve
- Conduct a complete investigation, including procuring medical records, qualified testimony and taking depositions of the defendant
- Work with our team of Sugar Creek, MO medical experts to establish standard of care in your case, show how the care you received was not up to the standard and prove negligence
- Offer compassionate, wise and dependable legal counsel
- Keep you informed through the duration of your lawsuit so you are aware of what is going on and know everything you need to make the best decision for your family
- Manage every legal aspect of your case so you can spend your energy on recovering
- Converse with with economic experts to precisely value your damages
- Negotiate with the insurance adjusters to deliver you the best possible settlement offer
- Take your case to court when the insurance company does not want to offer what you are owed in mediation
At Burger Law, we know that most people in Sugar Creek, MO does not have the resources and legal proficiency to oppose the expensive defense teams of doctors and large insurance companies. That is why our Sugar Creek, MO medical malpractice lawyers work on a contingency fee basis. You do not pay us any fees until we get you the full compensation you are owed. We have committed our careers to making sure that the injured and vulnerable in Sugar Creek, MO have access to the highest quality legal representation, one that matches and eclipses that of large hospitals. Our medical malpractice lawyers always work to get rid of every hindrance standing between you and justice.
What You Need in a Medical Malpractice Claim
Not every mistake committed by healthcare providers amounts to malpractice. In order to be awarded a financial recovery for negligent care in Sugar Creek, MO, you must conclusively show four things. Your medical malpractice lawyers from Burger Law will help you demonstrate that:
- A doctor-patient relationship was intiated. This amounts to proof that you hired the doctor and the doctor agreed to be hired. This is generally very easy to prove.
- The doctor or healthcare provider was breached the standard of care. You need to be able to show that a competent physician in the same practice area, in the same geographical location treating the same health issue, would not have made the same error.
- The doctor’s negligence directly caused you harm. This can frequently be tough to prove, as patients under a physician's care are normally already sick or injured.
- That the injury caused the patient harm that they should be compensated for. Examples include physical pain, impairment, additional medical bills, or loss of earning capacity.
In Missouri, you will also be required to offer an “Affidavit of Qualified Healthcare Worker,” within 90 days of filing your suit, according to Missouri Revised Statute §538.225. This is a written opinion from a legally qualified healthcare provider that opines that a) the doctor did not give you the care that a prudent healthcare provider would have in the same situation, and b) the failure contributed to the alleged injuries. Our medical malpractice lawyers have a massive network of accomplished and professional medical connections in Sugar Creek and throughout Missouri who will help validate your claim.
Amy: A Trial Story
Click to view video
Click to view video
Roy Medical Malpractice Testimonial
Click to view video
What Compensation Can I Get? | Sugar Creek, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The compensation your medical malpractice lawyers will help you collect usually falls into two categories: economic damages, which try to compensate you for the financial loss you have sustained due to a doctor's substandard care; and noneconomic damages, which are intended to compensate for the less tangible ways in which your injuries have impacted your life:
- Economic damages include:
- Lost wages
- Lost earning potential if the medical negligence resulted in a disability that does not allow you to perform the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, including:
- Subsequent doctors appointments
- Physical therapy
- Medication expenses
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or necessary upgrades to your home or vehicle
- Future estimated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices
- Noneconomic damages, which the state of Missouri defines as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers work tirelessly until you get every penny that you are owed. We know that you can never fully heal from some injuries, but we fight to make sure that your pain and suffering is alleviated.
Malpractice cases vary from other personal injuries in Missouri in two important manners. Your medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will help you understand damage caps and the statute of limitations in Missouri:
Damage Caps in Missouri Medical Malpractice Cases
In 2015, Missouri state legislature passed Senate Bill 239 in an attempt to lower insurance premiums for doctor's and hospitals. The bill set "damage caps" on the amount you can recover in a medical malpractice claim in noneconomic damages. As of 2022, those limits are $450,098 for a "non-catastrophic injury" and $787,671 for a "catastrophic injury."
What is Catastrophic Injury? | Sugar Creek, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The damage caps for catastrophic injuries are greater because they impact your ability to carry out daily tasks and to find enjoyment in life. Your Burger Law malpractice lawyers will help you determine if your injury can be viewed as catastrophic. Senate Bill 239 defines catastrophic injuries as:
- Quadriplegia, or loss of function in all four limbs
- Paraplegia, or loss of function in your legs and lower body
- Loss of two or more limbs
- A brain injury resulting in permanent cognitive impairment that results in permanent inability to:
- Make independent decisions
- Perform basic daily tasks such as eating, dressing, bathing, toileting, transferring and walking
- Irreversible failure of one or more major organ systems
- Legal blindness in your "best eye"
How Long Do I Have to File a Medical Malpractice Claim in Sugar Creek, MO?
If you or a loved one were harmed by a physician's negligence in Sugar Creek, MO, it is vital to reach out to medical malpractice lawyers straight away. While most personal injury claims have a statute of limitation of five years in Missouri, medical malpractice cases only have a time limit of two years, according to Missouri Revised Statute §516.105. That means that once you have been hurt your medical malpractice lawyers only have two years to investigate your case and file suit. There are three noteworthy exceptions:
- If a foreign object was left inside of you after surgery, you have two years from the date you discovered the object, or should have discovered the object.
- If a doctor failed to inform you of test results, you have two years from the date you discovered or should have discovered that you were not informed. This does not include failure to inform of negligent or incorrect test results.
- If you or someone you love was under 18 on the date of the malpractice, you have until their 20th birthday.
Do not delay. Call the Burger Law Sugar Creek, MO medical malpractice lawyers today. We get working on your case at once and do not rest until you collect maximum compensation . Waiting could create complications your case and could make it difficult for even the best medical malpractice lawyers to prove the full impacts of your damages. Call Burger Law's Sugar Creek, MO medical malpractice lawyers today at (314) 500-HURT.
Call Burger Law Now
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Sugar Creek, MO
No one deserves to have their life turned upside down because a physician was negligent in their care. Burger Law's Sugar Creek, MO medical malpractice lawyers make up the highest- and most-reviewed law firm in the Midwest. We fight hard for our clients and work around the clock to get them the great results they need to be made whole again. Our medical malpractice lawyers have spent the last three decades fighting back against bullies and standing up for the "little guy." We will not let doctors, large hospitals exploit your vulnerability. Call Burger Law's Sugar Creek, MO medical malpractice lawyers today at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form to start on your road to recovery.