Medical Malpractice Lawyers Versailles,
You should not have to pay because a doctor, medical institution or other medical professional in Versailles, MO did not respect your health. When we search out medical treatment, we do so under the assumption that we are placing our health — and at times even our lives — in dependable hands. When doctors are negligent and you end up with even worse illnesses or harm as a consequence, trust in the accomplished and talented Versailles, MO medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law to win you justice and the best possible financial recovery. Not only are we sympathetic and devoted to our Versailles, MO clients, but we are more aggressive than the majority of law firms in filing litigation and not waiting around for the liable doctor to take accountability. Our medical malpractice lawyers want healthcare professionals and their insurance company to know that we mean business and will not take anything but full compensation. Negligent health care can have catastrophic, life-long consequences, and in the most tragic cases can even cause wrongful death.
In our three decades of experience standing up to bullies and getting great results for the injured, we have gotten our clients over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. If you or a family member has been injured by a negligent doctor in Versailles, MO, reach out to Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers immediately at or contact us online.
See the potential value of your claim by using our free personal injury calculator.
Medical Malpractice Statistics | Versailles, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
Research by John Hopkins Medicine found that one in ten of all fatalities in the United States are due to medical error. Just one percent of physicians account for about 33 percent of medical malpractice cases. Too often, negligent doctors are allowed to continue practicing without any punishment. But when the state of Missouri does not want to hold at-fault doctors to blame, you can be confident the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will.
In Missouri, less than 33 percent of medical malpractice cases end with the plaintiff recovering compensation. Still, between 2009 and 2018 a full $631.11 million was awarded in medical malpractice cases. You need committed and accomplished Missouri medical malpractice lawyers to make sure you receive the full compensation you are owed.
Who Your Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Versailles, MO Can Hold Accountable in Your Claim
We often automatically think of doctors when we think of medical malpractice, there are many people or institutions that may be liable for medical negligence in your case. The state of Missouri defines a “healthcare provider” as a
- Health maintenance organization
- Ambulatory surgical center
- Long-term care facility
- Registered or licensed practical nurse
- Professional physical therapist
- Physician-in-training, or
- Any other person or entity who provides health care services under the authority of a license or certificate
Malpractice lawsuits are typically complex; it may not be clear straight away who was accountable, or many people may be accountable. The trustworthy and skilled Versailles, MO medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will conduct a full investigation into your injuries and make certain that every party that caused you injuries is held responsible for their negligent actions.
Examples of Medical Malpractice in Versailles, MO
Medical negligence transpires when a healthcare professional disobeys the standard of care, which is how most doctors in the same practice area and same geographic location would have addressed your health issue. Our Versailles, MO medical malpractice lawyers have seen that occur in a variety of ways:
Failure to Diagnose or Misdiagnosis
This is the most common reason for medical malpractice suits that take place in out-of-hospital treatment. About 12 million people in United States are misdiagnosed annually. Diagnosing health problems early on is key in realizing the most favorable outcome for a patient. A misdiagnosis, or failing to diagnose, can result in a delay to the treatment you seriously need to get better, or can result in unsuitable care that worsens your illness or injury. Three-quarters of misdiagnoses are failing to diagnose some of the most grave health conditions, including:
- 37.8 percent for cancer
- 22.8 percent for vascular events
- 13.5 percent for infections
Surgical mistakes are the most common medical malpractice case related to in-hospital care. There are at least 4,000 surgical errors in the U.S. each year, and frighteningly, the most common example is operating on the wrong body part. Other instances can include accidental incisions, anesthesia errors, foreign objects like instruments remaining inside the patient, infections or failure to address problems show up after the procedure.
An estimated 7,000 to 9,000 people nationwide die every year owing to medication errors. Examples can include not taking a record of the patient's allergies, giving an incorrect medication, giving an incorrect dosage or failing to identify interactions with other drugs.
Another instance of medication errors is overprescribing medications. Studies have found that overprescribing is a main contributor to the opioid crisis in the United States.
Unnecessary medical care costs approximately $210 billion every year. John Hopkins Medicine surveyed 2,106 physicians and learned that physicians themselves believe that 15 to 30 percent of medical care is not needed, including:
- Over a fifth of prescription medications
- Almost a quarter of medical tests
- More than one-tenth of procedures
- Over one-fifth of medical treatment in general
Unnecessary treatment can cause surgical mistakes, medication errors and overprescribed medication.
About 6 to 8 out of 1,000 children born in the United States experience a significant birth injury Annually. Not correctly observing the baby throughout birth, not appropriately utilizing birthing techniques or not diagnosing a health issue of the mother during pregnancy are all examples of medical negligence that can cause long-term or lifelong consequences.
Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse
The 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act put in place a Bill of Rights for nursing home residents meant to protect and ensure their physical, emotional and social health. When a nursing home institution or staff neglects those rights and the person you love is hurt as a result, the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will hold them liable.
Failure to Inform or Lack of Consent
We all have a fundamental right to make choices for ourselves. When a physician fails to inform you of risks, or fails to acquire your consent before a procedure, it is an appalling breach of your rights.
At Burger Law, our Versailles, MO medical malpractice lawyers have seen it all. We know the terrible repercussions a healthcare professional's or institution's neglect can cause, and the anger and grief that comes with finding out that your trust was broken. We hold negligent doctors accountable and win our Versailles, MO clients the full compensation they are owed and that they require to move on and be made whole again. Our medical malpractice lawyers also have considerable medical comprehension and will be able to pinpoint how your doctor violated the standard of care. Get in touch with our medical malpractice lawyers in Versailles, MO immediately at .
Can You Sue The Federal Government When Injured?
Can you sue the federal government when injured? What are federal tort cl …
What Compensation Will I Receive in My Birth Injury Lawsuit?
What Compensation Will I Receive in a Birth Injury Lawsuit? When your chi …
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case?
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case? Doctors are among the most t …
Medical Malpractice Cases Won
Check out the following links to see some of the latest successes Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers have secured for our clients in Versailles, MO:
- $1 Million Settlement for Family of a Man With Sepsis Infection
- $1 Million Settlement for Permanent Brain Injury
- $900,000 Settlement for Unnecessary Surgery Leading to Blindness in One Eye
- $200,000 Settlement for Misdiagnosis
- $175,000 Verdict for Surgical Error During a Cesarean Section
- Confidential Settlement for Failing to Diagnose Cancer and Lost Chance of Survival
- Confidential Settlement for Nursing Home Neglect
- Confidential Settlement for Wrongful Death Due to Fentanyl
How Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Missouri Can Help
Medical malpractice claims are infamously tough to win. That is why you need stellar medical malpractice lawyers that have the experience, knowledge, tenacity and savvy to deliver you the best possible financial recovery you know you deserve. When you hire us, our Missouri medical malpractice lawyers:
- Get to work on your claim right away
- Connect you with honest and accomplished doctors to finally get you the medical attention you deserve
- Perform a complete investigation, including acquiring medical records, professional testimony and taking official statements from the defendant
- Work alongside our network of Versailles, MO medical experts to corroborate standard of care in your case, demonstrate how the treatment you received was below standard and prove negligence
- Offer sympathetic, informed and dependable legal counsel
- Keep you informed through the duration of your case so you are not left in the dark and you have all the information you need to make the best decision for your family
- Oversee every legal aspect of your case so you can focus your energy on healing
- Confer with with economic experts to determine precisely how much your claim is worth
- Negotiate with the insurance adjusters to get you the best possible settlement offer
- Take your case to trial when the insurance company does not want to offer what you deserve in mediation
At Burger Law, we know that the average person in Versailles, MO does not have access to the resources and legal knowledge to oppose the high-priced defense teams of doctors and large hospitals. For that reason, our Versailles, MO medical malpractice lawyers work on a contingency fee basis. You do not pay us anything until we get you the maximum financial recovery you deserve. We have pledged our careers to ensuring that the injured and vulnerable in Versailles, MO have access to the highest standard of legal advocacy, one that compares with and surpasses that of large insurance companies. Our medical malpractice lawyers always work to get rid of every impediment standing between you and justice.
Basic Requirements for a Medical Malpractice Claim
Not every error carried out by healthcare providers amounts to malpractice. In order to receive a financial recovery for negligent care in Versailles, MO, you must demonstrate four things. Your medical malpractice lawyers from Burger Law will help you show that:
- A doctor-patient relationship was established. This amounts to proof that you hired the doctor and the doctor agreed to be hired. This is usually very easy to prove.
- The doctor or healthcare provider was breached the standard of care. You need to be able to show that a capable physician in the same field, in the same geographical location treating the same health issue, would not have made the same error.
- The doctor’s breach of the standard of care directly caused you harm. This is often hard to prove, as patients under a physician's care are typically already sick or injured.
- That the injury caused the patient harm that they should be compensated for. Instances can include physical pain, impairment, additional medical expenses, or loss of future earning potential.
In Missouri, you will also need to give an “Affidavit of Qualified Healthcare Worker,” within 90 days of filing your claim, under Missouri Revised Statute §538.225. This is a written opinion from a legally qualified healthcare provider that states that a) the doctor did not offer the care that a careful healthcare provider would have in the same situation, and b) the negligence caused the alleged harm. Our medical malpractice lawyers have a large network of accomplished and qualified medical connections in Versailles and throughout Missouri who will help certify your claim.
What Compensation Can I Collect? | Versailles, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The compensation your medical malpractice lawyers will help you receive generally falls into two categories: economic damages, which look to compensate you for the financial damages you have sustained owing to a physician's negligence; and noneconomic damages, which look to compensate for the less tangible ways in which your injuries have impacted your life:
- Economic damages include:
- Lost wages
- Lost earning potential if the medical negligence resulted in an impairment that does not permit you to carry out the duties of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, for example:
- Subsequent doctors appointments
- Physical rehabilitation
- Medication costs
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or necessary improvements to your home or vehicle
- Future estimated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices
- Noneconomic damages, which the state of Missouri defines as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers work around the clock until you get every dollar that you deserve. We know that some injuries are impossible to really recover from, but we fight to make certain that you get justice.
Malpractice cases diverge from other personal injuries in Missouri in two crucial details. Your medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will help you navigate damage caps and the statute of limitations in Missouri:
Damage Caps in Missouri Medical Malpractice Cases
In 2015, Missouri state legislature put into law Senate Bill 239 in an effort to lower insurance premiums for medical liability. The bill establishes "damage caps" on how much you can collect in a medical malpractice case in noneconomic damages. As of 2022, those caps are $450,098 for a "non-catastrophic injury" and $787,671 for a "catastrophic injury."
What is Catastrophic Injury? | Versailles, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The damage caps for catastrophic injuries are higher because they affect your ability to carry out daily tasks and to enjoy life. Your Burger Law malpractice lawyers will help you establish if your injury can be considered catastrophic. Senate Bill 239 defines catastrophic injuries as:
- Quadriplegia, or loss of function in all four limbs
- Paraplegia, or loss of function in your legs and lower body
- Loss of two or more limbs
- A brain injury resulting in permanent cognitive impairment that results in permanent inability to:
- Make independent decisions
- Perform basic daily tasks such as eating, dressing, bathing, toileting, transferring and walking
- Irreversible failure of one or more major organ systems
- Legal blindness in your "best eye"
How Long Do I Have to File a Medical Malpractice Claim in Versailles, MO?
If you or someone you love were harmed by a doctor's negligence in Versailles, MO, it is key to call medical malpractice lawyers immediately. While most personal injury claims have a statute of limitation of five years in Missouri, medical malpractice suits only have a statute of limitations of two years, under Missouri Revised Statute §516.105. That means that once you have been injured your medical malpractice lawyers only have two years to investigate your case and file your claim. There are three key exceptions:
- If a foreign object was left inside of you after surgery, you have two years from the date you discovered the object, or should have discovered the object.
- If a doctor failed to inform you of test results, you have two years from the date you discovered or should have discovered that you were not informed. This does not include failure to inform of negligent or incorrect test results.
- If you or someone you care about was under 18 at the time of the substandard care, you have until they turn 20.
Do not wait. Get in touch with the Burger Law Versailles, MO medical malpractice lawyers immediately. We get started on your case right away and do not rest until you have been fully compensated . Delaying could create difficulties for your claim and could make it tough for even the best medical malpractice lawyers to prove the full effects of your damages. Call Burger Law's Versailles, MO medical malpractice lawyers today at .
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Versailles, MO
No one deserves to have their life upended because a healthcare professional gave them substandard care. Burger Law's Versailles, MO medical malpractice lawyers comprise the highest- and most-reviewed law firm in the Region. We fight hard for our clients and work relentlessly to get them the great results they need to recover. Our medical malpractice lawyers have spent the last three decades fighting back against bullies and standing up for the "little guy." We will not let physicians, large hospitals manipulate your vulnerability. Call Burger Law's Versailles, MO medical malpractice lawyers today at or fill out our online form to start on your road to recovery.