Medical Malpractice Lawyers Warrensburg,
You should not have to pay because a doctor, hospital or other healthcare professional in Warrensburg, MO gave you substandard care. When we get medical treatment, we do so under the assumption that we are placing our health — and occasionally even our lives — in competent hands. When doctors are negligent , leaving you with even worse illnesses or injuries as a result, believe in the accomplished and skilled Warrensburg, MO medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law to secure you justice and great financial compensation. Not only are we understanding and dedicated to the injured in Warrensburg, MO, but we are more aggressive than the majority of law firms in filing litigation and not waiting around for the at-fault doctor to take accountability. Our medical malpractice lawyers want medical professionals and their insurance company to realize that we are persistent and will accept nothing but the best possible compensation. Negligent health care can have ruinous, permanent repercussions, and in the dire circumstances can even lead to wrongful death.
In our three decades of experience fighting back against bullies and getting great results for the injured, we have secured our clients over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. If you or a loved one has been hurt by a careless physician in Warrensburg, MO, get in touch with Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers straight away at or contact us online.
See how much your claim may be worth by filling out our free personal injury calculator.
Medical Malpractice Statistics | Warrensburg, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
Data from John Hopkins Medicine found that 10 percent of all fatalities nationwide are because of medical error. Just one percent of physicians account for nearly 33 percent of medical malpractice lawsuits. Too often, negligent doctors are permitted to keep practicing without any ramifications. But when the state of Missouri does not want to hold liable doctors to blame, you can be sure the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will.
In Missouri, less than a third of medical malpractice cases end with the plaintiff being awarded compensation. Still, between 2009 and 2018 a full $631.11 million was paid out in medical malpractice cases. You need committed and veteran Missouri medical malpractice lawyers to ensure you get the full compensation you are owed.
Who Your Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Warrensburg, MO Can Hold Liable in Your Case
We usually immediately think of doctors when we think of medical malpractice, there are many parties that may be to blame for medical negligence in your case. The state of Missouri defines a “healthcare provider” as a
- Health maintenance organization
- Ambulatory surgical center
- Long-term care facility
- Registered or licensed practical nurse
- Professional physical therapist
- Physician-in-training, or
- Any other person or entity who provides health care services under the authority of a license or certificate
Malpractice suits are typically complicated; it may not be immediately clear who was accountable, or many people may be accountable. The dependable and savvy Warrensburg, MO medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will conduct a complete investigation into your injuries and make certain that every party that caused you harm is held accountable for their thoughtless behavior.
Examples of Medical Malpractice in Warrensburg, MO
Medical negligence takes place when a healthcare professional disobeys the standard of care, which is how most doctors in the same field and same geographic location would have addressed your health problems. Our Warrensburg, MO medical malpractice lawyers have seen that occur in many different ways:
Failure to Diagnose or Misdiagnosis
This is the most frequent reason for medical malpractice claims that take place in out-of-hospital care. About 12 million Americans are misdiagnosed annually. Catching medical problems early on is crucial in realizing the most favorable results for a patient. A misdiagnosis, or missing a diagnosis, can result in a delay to the treatment you seriously need to get better, or can cause unsuitable treatment that compounds your illness or injury. Three-quarters of misdiagnoses are failing to diagnose some of the most grave health conditions, for instance:
- 37.8 percent for cancer
- 22.8 percent for cardiac events
- 13.5 percent for infections
Surgical mistakes are the most common medical malpractice claim when it comes to inpatient treatment. There are a minimum of 4,000 surgical mistakes in the United States every year, and frighteningly, the most common instance is operating on the wrong organ. Other examples can include accidental incisions, anesthesia errors, foreign objects like sponges remaining inside the patient, infections or failure to treat difficulties show up after the procedure.
An estimated 7,000 to 9,000 people in the U.S. die every year due to medication errors. Examples can include not knowing a patient's allergies, giving an incorrect medication, giving the wrong dosage or failing to identify interactions with other drugs.
Medication errors can also include overprescribing medications. Studies have found that overprescribing is a major contributor to the opioid crisis in the United States.
Unnecessary medical care costs an estimated $210 billion every year. John Hopkins Medicine surveyed 2,106 doctors and learned that doctors themselves are of the opinion that 15 to 30 percent of medical care is unnecessary, including:
- More than a fifth of prescription medications
- 24.9 percent of medical tests
- 11.1 percent of procedures
- 20.6 percent of medical care in general
Unneeded care can result in surgical mistakes, medication errors and overprescribed medication.
Approximately 6 to 8 out of 1,000 children born in the United States sustain a serious birth injury each year. Not appropriately observing the infant throughout delivery, not correctly utilizing birthing procedures or not identifying a health issue with the mother during pregnancy are all examples of medical malpractice that can result in long-term or permanent consequences.
Nursing Home Negligence
The 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act established a Bill of Rights for nursing home residents meant to safeguard and ensure their physical, emotional and social health. When a nursing home institution or staff disregards those rights and the person you love is consequently hurt, the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will hold them accountable.
Failure to Inform or Lack of Consent
We all have a basic right to make choices for ourselves. When a doctor fails to inform you of risks, or does not secure your consent before treatment, it is an appalling breach of your rights.
At Burger Law, our Warrensburg, MO medical malpractice lawyers have seen it all. We know the ruinous consequences a healthcare professional's or institution's neglect can cause, and the rage and grief that comes with discovering that your trust was broken. We hold at-fault doctors accountable and secure our Warrensburg, MO clients the maximum compensation they are owed and that they require to move on and be made whole again. Our medical malpractice lawyers also have extensive medical knowledge and will be able to pinpoint how your doctor breached the standard of care. Call our medical malpractice lawyers in Warrensburg, MO at once at .
Can You Sue The Federal Government When Injured?
Can you sue the federal government when injured? What are federal tort cl …
What Compensation Will I Receive in My Birth Injury Lawsuit?
What Compensation Will I Receive in a Birth Injury Lawsuit? When your chi …
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case?
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case? Doctors are among the most t …
Medical Malpractice Cases Won
Take a look at the following links to see several of the latest successes Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers have gotten for our clients in Warrensburg, MO:
- $1 Million Settlement for Family of a Man With Sepsis Infection
- $1 Million Settlement for Permanent Brain Injury
- $900,000 Settlement for Unnecessary Surgery Leading to Blindness in One Eye
- $200,000 Settlement for Misdiagnosis
- $175,000 Verdict for Surgical Error During a Cesarean Section
- Confidential Settlement for Failing to Diagnose Cancer and Lost Chance of Survival
- Confidential Settlement for Nursing Home Neglect
- Confidential Settlement for Wrongful Death Due to Fentanyl
How Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Missouri Can Help
Medical malpractice cases are notoriously difficult to win. That is why you need stellar medical malpractice lawyers that have the experience, knowledge, tenacity and talent to secure you the best possible financial recovery you know you are owed. When you hire us, our Missouri medical malpractice lawyers:
- Begin working on your case right away
- Connect you with trusted and capable doctors to finally get you the medical attention you deserve
- Perform a comprehensive investigation, including acquiring medical records, expert testimony and taking depositions of the defendant
- Confer with our network of Warrensburg, MO medical experts to ascertain standard of care in your case, demonstrate how the care you received was below standard and prove negligence
- Offer sympathetic, informed and dependable legal advice
- Keep you informed through the duration of your claim so you are not left in the dark and you have all the information you need to make the best decision for your family
- Handle every legal aspect of your case so you can focus on healing
- Work alongside with economic experts to exactly value your damages
- Negotiate with the insurance adjusters to win you a full settlement offer
- Take your case to trial when the insurance company does not want to be fair in mediation
At Burger Law, we know that most people in Warrensburg, MO does not have the resources and legal expertise to combat the expensive defense teams of doctors and large insurance companies. That is why our Warrensburg, MO medical malpractice lawyers operate on a contingency fee basis. We charge no attorneys fees until we get you the full compensation you are owed. We have devoted our careers to making certain that the injured and vulnerable in Warrensburg, MO have access to the highest standard of legal advocacy, one that rivals and exceeds that of large hospitals. Our medical malpractice lawyers always work to get rid of every hindrance standing between you and justice.
Basic Requirements for a Medical Malpractice Claim
Not every error committed by healthcare institution or doctor amounts to malpractice. In order to collect a financial recovery for improper treatment in Warrensburg, MO, you must demonstrate four things. Your medical malpractice lawyers from Burger Law will help you demonstrate that:
- A doctor-patient relationship was established. This means proof that you hired the doctor and the doctor agreed to be hired. This is typically very easy to prove.
- The doctor or healthcare provider was negligent. You need to be able to show that a capable medical professional in the same practice area, in the same geographical location caring for the same health issue, would not have made the same error.
- The doctor’s breach of the standard of care directly caused you harm. This is often difficult to prove, as patients under a physician's care are generally already sick or injured.
- That the injury caused the patient damages. This can include physical pain, impairment, additional medical expenses, or loss of future earning potential.
In Missouri, you will also need to provide an “Affidavit of Qualified Healthcare Worker,” within 90 days of filing your case, under Missouri Revised Statute §538.225. This is a written opinion from a legally qualified healthcare provider that opines that a) the doctor did not give you the treatment that a prudent healthcare provider would have under the same circumstances, and b) the negligence caused the alleged harm. Our medical malpractice lawyers have a wealth of experienced and qualified medical connections in Warrensburg and throughout Missouri who will help confirm your claim.
What Compensation Can I Collect? | Warrensburg, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The compensation your medical malpractice lawyers will help you recover generally falls into two categories: economic damages, which seek to compensate you for the monetary loss you have undergone due to a physician's negligence; and noneconomic damages, which try to compensate for the less tangible ways in which your injuries have affected your life:
- Economic damages include:
- Lost wages
- Lost earning potential if the medical negligence led to a disability that does not allow you to conduct the duties of your job anymore
- Medical costs, for instance:
- Follow up appointments
- Further procedures
- Physical rehabilitation
- Medication expenses
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or required upgrades to your home or vehicle
- Future estimated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices
- Noneconomic damages, which the state of Missouri defines as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers work tirelessly until you get every cent that you are owed. We know that some injuries are impossible to really recover from, but we fight to make certain that you get justice.
Malpractice cases differ from other personal injuries in Missouri in a couple of crucial aspects. Your medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will help you navigate damage caps and the statute of limitations in Missouri:
Damage Caps in Missouri Medical Malpractice Cases
In 2015, Missouri state legislature put into law Senate Bill 239 in an attempt to lower insurance premiums for medical liability. The bill establishes "damage caps" on how much compensation you can be awarded in a medical malpractice suit in noneconomic damages. As of 2022, those caps are $450,098 for a "non-catastrophic injury" and $787,671 for a "catastrophic injury."
What is Catastrophic Injury? | Warrensburg, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The limits for catastrophic injuries are greater because they affect your ability to function in your daily life and to enjoy life. Your Burger Law malpractice lawyers will help you ascertain if your injury can be viewed as catastrophic. Senate Bill 239 says that catastrophic injuries are:
- Quadriplegia, or loss of function in all four limbs
- Paraplegia, or loss of function in your legs and lower body
- Loss of two or more limbs
- A brain injury resulting in permanent cognitive impairment that results in permanent inability to:
- Make independent decisions
- Perform basic daily tasks such as eating, dressing, bathing, toileting, transferring and walking
- Irreversible failure of one or more major organ systems
- Legal blindness in your "best eye"
How Long Do I Have to File a Medical Malpractice Claim in Warrensburg, MO?
If you or someone you love were hurt by a healthcare professional's negligence in Warrensburg, MO, it is critical to reach out to medical malpractice lawyers immediately. While most personal injury claims have a time limit of five years in Missouri, medical malpractice claims only have a time limit of two years, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §516.105. That means that once you have been hurt your medical malpractice lawyers only have two years to investigate your case and file suit. There are three notable exceptions:
- If a foreign object was left inside of you after surgery, you have two years from the date you discovered the object, or should have discovered the object.
- If a doctor neglected to inform you of test results, you have two years from the date you discovered or should have discovered that you were not informed. This does not include failure to inform of negligent or incorrect test results.
- If you or your loved one was a minor at the time of the negligent, you have until their 20th birthday.
Do not delay. Call the Burger Law Warrensburg, MO medical malpractice lawyers now. We begin working on your case at once and do not rest until you recover maximum compensation . Delaying could bring complications to your case and could make it difficult for even the best medical malpractice lawyers to demonstrate the full consequences of your damages. Call Burger Law's Warrensburg, MO medical malpractice lawyers immediately at .
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Warrensburg, MO
No one deserves to have their life turned upside down because a medical professional gave them substandard care. Burger Law's Warrensburg, MO medical malpractice lawyers make up the highest- and most-reviewed law firm in Warrensburg, MO. We fight hard for our clients and work relentlessly to get them the great results they need to move forward with their lives. Our medical malpractice lawyers have spent the last three decades fighting back against bullies and standing up for the "little guy." We will not let healthcare professionals, large hospitals abuse your vulnerability. Call Burger Law's Warrensburg, MO medical malpractice lawyers today at or fill out our online form to start on your road to recovery.