When a doctor is liable for cerebral palsy. When doctors or hospitals break the rules and provide substandard levels of care, it can have a devastating effect on you and your family. Conditions like cerebral palsy can lead to your child needing lifelong care. While you love your child, you are facing the prospect of a lifetime of medical bills and your child not being able to participate in normal childhood activities. Burger Law will fight by your side to make sure you get maximum compensation and that the future of you and your child is protected. If your child developed cerebral palsy because of a doctors negligence, call us today at or contact us online
The medical world is still learning about the causes and risk factors of cerebral palsy. Congenital Cerebral Palsy is related to abnormal development of the brain or damage that that was done to the brain before or during birth. This accounts for 85 to 90 percent of cerebral palsy cases. Cerebral palsy affects a person's motor movement, and the seriousness can range from simply walking awkwardly to needing a wheelchair and lifelong care. However severe your child's condition, you deserve a full recovery to help make you and your child whole again.
Cerebral Palsy Cases Where the Doctor Is Responsible
While we are still learning about cerebral palsy and its causes, we do know that cerebral palsy can sometimes occur because of a doctor's, nurse's or medical institution's negligence or substandard level of care. Complications can arise in any pregnancy or birth, and a well-trained and competent doctor will be able to react effectively to any problems. However, sometimes doctors break the rules and do not give us the care we deserve. In those cases, you may have a medical malpractice birth injury case. Here are some examples of when a doctor or medical institution is at fault:
- Failure to diagnose health issues before birth. Certain medical conditions for the mother, such as infections, can lead to a child being born with cerebral palsy.
- Failure to treat jaundice and kernicterus. When too much a chemical called bilirubin builds up in a baby's blood, it leads to a condition called jaundice that causes yellowing of the baby's skin and eyes. Being born with jaundice is normal and not serious, however it must be quickly and effectively treated. If not, it will lead to a condition called kernicterus, which can cause cerebral palsy.
- Failure to perform a cesarean section. Sometimes, when the child is having difficulty passing through the mother, a competent doctor will perform a cesarean section to make sure the baby is born on time. Failure to do this can result in cerebral palsy.
- Improper use of equipment. Not using forceps or vacuum extraction correctly or using too much force can result in a brain injury.
- Not reacting correctly to lack of oxygen. The umbilical cord can become wrapped around your baby's neck, leading to a lack of oxygen in the brain. Failure to note this and take proper steps to treat it is an example of negligence.
How a Birth Injury Attorney Will Help | Burger Law Birth Injury Lawyers
At Burger Law, our birth injury lawyers have fought and won every type of case, including cerebral palsy cases. When you hire us, we starting working on your case right away. We will review your all your medical records while pregnant, including the birth and delivery records. Then we will speak to people involved in your case, and use our vast network of doctors and medical experts to determine liability for you or your child's injuries. We have dedicated our lives to standing up to bullies, and if the doctor's insurance company refuses to pay we will fight until they give you the full recovery you deserve. In order to win a a birth injury case, you must prove three things:
- That the doctor, nurse, or hospital violated a standard of care
- That in violating that standard, their negligence caused injury to you or your child
- The injury caused damage to you or your child
Medical Malpractice cases are notoriously difficult to win, so you need a talented and accomplished Burger Law birth injury attorney by your side to prove your case. If your child has cerebral palsy and you believe a doctor is at fault, Burger Law is here to help. We will fight until you receive the full recovery you and your child deserve to help make you whole again. Call us today at or contact us online for a free case evaluation.